Cycling in Grenada








It was too hot to cycle in Grenada, so I didn’t. The temperature was in the 80s with a mild humidity. It was enough just to walk. I paid the price by becoming dehydrated on my last full day of the holiday.

Compared to London there are very few cyclists. People, as in men, tend to cycle for very short journeys or they are sports cyclists in training. I learned that Grenada has cycling teams and race events. in Grand Anse I saw one cyclist in full Lycra sports gear and helmet and he appeared to be in training. He was the only cyclist I saw with a helmet.

I was able to talk to Joshua who was a gardener at the local park who used a bike to get to work. I asked him why I hadn’t seen more cyclists and he said that people tend to use their bikes on Sundays when it is hard to get a bus or in high summer. Joshua also said that at this time guys cycle at night and he straps on a ‘music box’ on the handle bars of his bike and plays music as he rides along.

I never worked out why women don’t cycle but the country is extremely hilly once your are outside the town centres and I am not sure I would tackle this type of terrain without considerable training. On the plus side I did a lot of walking particularly on the beach.

I did see a cyclist on a folding bike fast peddling while I was on the bus. I didn’t recognise the frame so I couldn’t tell what make it was.

Photos
  1. Shopper with his bike in St George’s
  2. Mr Sportsman on his training session
  3. Bikes for sale at the local Courts store. (Yes, Courts where they sell furniture in the UK, but in Grenada they also sell bikes.)
  4. Carpenter on his way to work
  5. Joshua’s bike with his petrol can and grass strimmer acting as a cross bar.
  6. No heels and no cycling for a whole week.

Comments

Unknown said…
Beautiful pictures, the place seems ideal for cycling - but then the same can be said about London too.

Interesting point raised by Joshua, that's one of the reasons why alternative transport takes off so well in Paris, what with strikes and such. I guess us Brits are just more willing to put up with undesirable situations to the point of counter-productivity.

But then, the winds are changing ;)