I wish the Cycle Show would leave me alone

I am annoyed because I keep getting emails from the organisers of this years Cycle Show.

I went two years ago on a discount ticket because I was a London Cycling Campaign member. It was ok but I didn’t feel it was an event that required an annual trip. Of course I got emails last year notifying me of the event but I didn’t go. This year the email traffic first notifying and then reminding me of the event significantly increased. In the end I asked to be unsubscribed but discovered that I still am getting email direct from the organisers without an unsubscribe button. I then sent a reply email asking to be removed from their list completely for this and all future events.

So I was not happy to get another email asking me to buy a ticket. (Are ticket sales down? )

I do not want to go and I want them to stop sending me emails.

Here is why I don’t want to go.

The Cycle Show is a shrine for all things connected to Sport cycling. Yes, I know Brompton is one of the sponsors but they are there to expand sales to those who would consider a Brompton a gimmick. The show gives a passing nod to ‘Cycle Chic’ because if they can find things to sell to this cycle group it will increase business, but it is not easy to sell to people who like to wear their own clothes, I don’t care to meet cycling sport stars because I don’t consider cycling to work a sport and I don’t want to watch people throw themselves around on BMX bikes. In short I think the Cycle Show makes a brave attempt to be all things to all groups of cyclists but it was not worth the price of ticket given I am not interested in most of what was on offer.

The show is there for businesses to sell more stuff to the cyclist. Fine. But I am lucky to live in London where if I wanted to watch BMX racing I can pop down to Brockwell Park for free, I am surrounded by very good cycle shops where I can also visit for free. I love my bikes and going to the show is not going to increase my affection or commitment to cycling.

I am not saying I will never go back to the Cycle Show, but it will be a very very very long time. Unless of course, Clark Shoes take up a stand at the show.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I moved to London six months ago and bought a Brompton pretty much as soon as I arrived. I have been following your blog since I bought my bike. I decided to comment on this post because I realised that not only am I a Brompton fan, but I also love cycling in my Clarks! Woo!

Keep up the good work.
TussahSilk said…
Very informative. I didn't know that there was a bike show, and based on your post, it isn't something I would be interested in for the same reasons that you give.
Gareth said…
I went to the same event a few years back. I think Trade shows like this are most useful if you are in the market for a new bike. For example if you were trying to decide on a Dahon or a Brompton folding bike, and both manufacturer's were exhibiting, it may be useful to speak to both parties. The manufacturer will no doubt be a lot more knowledgeable about their product(if more bias) than a lot of High Street retailers.
I think if you are not looking for anything in particular it may be more tedious than anything and only a free ticket and the promise of a free pen may draw me in.
On the plus side it's near Freddie Mercury's house so you could go look at his front door.

It's in Logan Pl, just off Cromwell Rd. I used to cycle past the end of the road when he still lived there.
Charmaine said…
Hi - I went to the Bike Show and enjoyed spending 6 hours wandering through the various booths. Since I'm from the U.S., I expected (and did) see a lot of bikes and accessories we don't see in the U.S. So I thought it was a great show and enjoyed it. However, I agree with you, that if you don't want to get emails/info about the upcoming show (or any other show), you should be able to unsubscribe to the notifications. :)
Cycling in Heels said…
Pleased to know that you had a good time given that you come so far.
paul wilson said…
Hi there, brilliant letter and my sentiments exactly, I to own and ride a Brompton and have done for many years, but Im afraid they are frowned upon by the lycra lads