The Brompton is now repaired and the job was done by the wonderful cycle collective, Brixton Cycles in Lambeth. Surprisingly I was let down by Compton Cycles who were not open despite the notice on their website saying they would be. I gave a quick call to BC and then I drove over with the Brompton in the boot. It was done inside an hour. Unfortunately the tyre had split so it had to be replaced as well as the inner tube. Total cost £39 including service. I am not sure how I split the tyre but there was a lot of salt and grit on the roads because of the snow and I guess it was something that was going to happen at some point.
Sorry no photos at present. The broadband is down because the box needs replacing and Virgin Media cannot come until Thursday. My back up dial up connection is not strong and often cuts out so I can barely get email. At least my bikes are ok.
Happy New Year!