Friday, 22 June 2012

No bikes* on trains during the Olympics

IMG_3833-2012-06-22-14-00.jpg

As I wheeled my Brompton through the ticket barrier at Cannon Street Station last week I was handed the above leaflet. The train companies that cover the Olympic venues will not allow non-folding bikes on their trains during the Olympics (27 July to 12 August) and Paralympics Games (29 August to 9 September). This will be tough for many long haul commuter cyclists who get in before the rush hour times or are able to get on after rush hour and then get a train after 7pm home.

*Bromptons are allowed but even Brompton owners have to ensure that the bike is completed folded before you enter the station and during the journey.

I see the word ‘compact’ is used. Now there many folding bikes but not all are compact. It will be interesting to see how far the train companies will take this.

I haven’t seen any notices about folding bikes on the Underground or Docklands Light Railway (DLR). But in truth I don’t think I want to be with the Brompton on the Underground during the Olympics.

I am preparing for the occasion that even if I get into central London with the Brompton on a train, I may have to cycle all the way back home because it is just too crowded.

9 comments:

rosyl3a said...

So surely that means that the roads and public transport system will be full of thwarted cyclists, as well as everyone else? Or am I missing something here?

Cycling in Heels said...

LOL! I think it is a plan to get us all to stay at home and watch the Olympics on the tv.

Richard Edge said...

We encountered the same kind of restrictions in Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics. Transit restrictions were in place along with existing bicycle route changes.

inspiredcyclist said...

Luckily your Brompton is allowed! Awesome!

My Orange Brompton said...

I think that I will just use my Brompton and not go anywhere near public transport, even ifit means a longer journey.

Anonymous said...

I don't plan to drive nor use public transport in London during the Olympics. Our city is not suited to cars (and quite rightly so) in the first instance, and the buses and tubes - I anticipate - shall be crammed and strained like the Saturday final run, except for the entire duration of the weekend and weekday off-peak schedule.

London is designed for walking, and well-suited to cycling. Therefore, my Brompton will be my second pair of legs until September :)

Those coming in from further afield, I truly feel sorry for them, lets hope they get first dibs on the Barclays bikes.

J

Jme said...

It is ironic that there is some belief that the Olympics might inspire more couch potatoes to take exercise. So what happens - those that do use their bicycles to get around get penalised.

Or maybe the plan is to make them cycle even further :-O

--Jamie

Chandra said...

Isn't Olympics a sporting event? Shouldn't a sportive activity like cycling be especially promoted, through all possible avenues, during such an event? What about strollers? Will they be permitted on trains during this time? I am obviously curious...

Paz :)

Cycling in Heels said...

It is a bizarre contradiction that Britain is likely to top the medals table in sport Cycling and yet the struggle to get support to everyday (commuter/leisure) cycling continues.