Satelite navigation and cycling


My work commitments send me all over London and I am always printing off maps to take with me on the bike. This works well for 99 percent of the time. I have recently discovered the joy of my Google Map satellite navigation application on my iPhone. Twice when I have found myself cycling in the wrong direction I got out the iPhone and hey presto I could see exactly where I was and make the necessary adjustment.

It’s great that I can pinpoint precisely where I am, but I also find it slightly unnerving in a Will Smith Gene Hackman ‘Enemy of the State’ kind of way.

Comments

Milady said…
I find my google maps on my phone (with GPS) invaluable for getting around. Amazingly useful in London too.
I figured that our privacy has pretty much gone anyway, so we might as well have some use out of it!
Andreas said…
I don't think I could live without my iPhone so great for quickly looking up directions/things I have forgotten. Been trying out the trails app which is pretty good as it allows me to download other peoples routes and then try them out for myself. I also picked up one of those bike mounts so I can glance at my iPhone while cycling
Suede Shoe said…
I'm impressed with the idea of a bike mount!