Green Brompton locked outside John Lewis

I am not the only Brompton user who locks their bike up with a strong D lock and goes to the shops on Oxford Street in the West End. I saw this Brompton on Monday locked up on the bike racks that are by the side of John Lewis department store. I usually leave my Brompton fully opened so that I can just get on and ride, but I can see that folded takes up no space at all. My only worry with this is that another bike rider may just lock their bike on top of the Brompton and make it very difficult for you to get your bike out. Just like when you are blocked in with your car.

Nice green colour. Reminds me of deep sap green oil paint.

Last month I caught a Brompton owner locking his bike outside Cannon Street Station with one of those long but thin cable locks. I just went up to him and told him he was mad and the bike was too expensive to be left with this type of lock. He laughed and asked me if I was going to take it. I said No, I have one at home. I was parking my Trek bike at the time. The Brompton wasn’t there when I returned so I hope I scared him into taking it with him.

Comments

Leslie said…
Whenever I leave my Brompton anywhere I always lock it unfolded. I reckon this makes it look more anonymous, just one more bike among all the others. A folded Brompton, on the other hand, left unattended, seems too obvious - 'Hey, I'm a Brompton, I'm valuable, steal me!' Mind you, I've still had one unfolded Brompton stolen, although I think that was half my fault for using a too light a lock :-(
Cycling in Heels said…
So sorry to hear about the theft of your first Brompton. Yes a folded Brompton is a bit of a sign post. I keep hoping that my lock is strong enough.
Gareth said…
Ideally you should lock it up with two locks if left unattended. One to lock the frame and the back wheel to an immovable object. And a second one to lock the front wheel to the frame. At least the seatpost and saddle on a Brompton can't stolen as easily as on other bikes.
Also if your bike is insured, it's worth checking if the policy states whether specific categories of locks are required in order to validate any claim.
Your next mission is to photograph a yellow Brompton outside Selfridges!
Leslie said…
I have an identical Brompton now that is perfect, but I still miss my original one. Must be first love!
Cycling in Heels said…
Thanks for the advice Gareth. Now that I think about it I haven't seen a yellow Brompton for long time.

Leslie you always have a soft spot for your first love.
Unknown said…
Is that a Pashley Princess Sovereign I see in the background!

Drool, 2 of my favourite Bikes side by side...or in my case a Pashley Roadster Sovereign (or Guv'nor) would do the trick ;)
Unknown said…
I never leave my brompton locked outside. Call me stubborn if my Scarlett ( I named her that because she is red) is not welcome, neither am I.
Cycling in Heels said…
You are right. It is also getting harder to park in central London anyway and so I end up taking my Brompton inside.
Peter Kidd said…
Hey -- that's my bike! I always lock it like that, because the D-lock goes through the frame, the chain, and the front wheel, and leaves very little space for a thief to insert tools. Although it is a titanium model, it's still too heavy to carry around while I browse in John Lewis.
Cycling in Heels said…
Hi J. That's a good idea. I have a good lock but you never know. Hope your Green Brompton is still taking you to John Lewis. Thanks for the photo opportunity.